Monday, January 26, 2009

A Mini Vacation


I am a firm believer in the concept of a mini vacation. It seems that we are so bogged down each day that we hardly can function. A trip to Hawaii is not going to fix the stress that we face daily! When I feel the stress building up, I love one of these easy, inexpensive "vacations". Here is my favorite way to unwind.... A good cup of coffee and a magazine. This is my favorite way to "chill out". My mother-in-law said that when she thinks of me she always pictures me with a cup of coffee in one hand and a magazine in the other. If you are broke and can't afford a $5 Starbucks latte and the latest Martha Stewart magazine, here is a poor man's alternative. Gas stations have amazingly good coffee. Bring your own mug (refill prices are cheaper than if you use one of their disposable cups). Then, head the the library. Most have a comfy area where you can sit and read. Grab a magazine or book and read away. Cost for this vacation: about a dollar! I know, the kids are screaming and you gotta get dinner on. There is no way you can work this out! Here's another idea.... Choose a meal that needs to bake about an hour. Get everything ready (salad, drinks, set the table....) and throw the dinner in the oven. Throw the kids in the mini-van and head for McDonalds. While they crawl through the playland, get yourself one of their mochas and read a magazine that you brought from home. You need a break, the kids need some exercise, and Daddy would rather have a happy wife than a gourmet meal. Whenever I get overloaded Josh says, "You aren't yourself." He deserves to have a happy, sane, wife! Make time to take care of yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment