Monday, March 23, 2009

Meals in Minutes!


We got home from Pastor's School Saturday at 2:00 P.M. As soon as we got home, I grabbed my shopping list and headed for the grocery store. I had used the 4 hr. road trip to plan out 4 weeks worth of meals, using the "Once a Month Cooking" method. It only cost me $89.00 to buy all of the food for 30 dinners. I was pretty excited about that! Once I got home and unloaded my carload of groceries, I started to cook my meals. 4 1/2 hours later I had enough meals in my freezer to last me a month, and I even had cleaned my kitchen and washed the dishes. The next thirty days would prove weather or not this was going to be a way of life for me.

Tonight we tried the first "freezer meal." I was a little afraid that it would taste like left-overs, but to my delight, it didn't! The meal I chose for tonight was Meatball Subs. The meatballs were already cooked and frozen, so all I had to do was put them in a saucepan with marinara sauce and toast the bread. They were DELICIOUS! Total time to prepare dinner tonight: 5 min. of preparation, 10 minutes of cooking. So far, this "Once A Month Cooking" is a lifesaver! Can't wait to see how the rest of the meals in my freezer turn out!

2 comments:

  1. That is FANTASTIC. I would love to do that but David has to have that steak and potato 5 course meal everyday.... THAT is a savings how you did that ,, but dont think I could get away with just $ 89.... dont think We ever could,, but SURE IS worth a try,,, first thing first GETTING rid of the 5 course meals HAHHHHAAH good for you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! If it all works out for you after the month, maybe you'd consider sharing your meal plan with us. :)
    I'm always looking for good ideas.

    ReplyDelete